Saturday, August 27, 2011

Homework Three.

In the introduction of the book "Someplace Like America" by Dale Maharidge, the subjects of recessions and depressions are raised. I grew up in a very poor household, and so my family has always been in a recession. As the economy has tanked, the difficulties of life only were exacerbated, food became hard to afford, gas was almost out of the question. Only buying enough to get us to town and back became the norm, I think our vehicles, all at least 10 years old and used when we got them, had to learn to run on gas fumes. It really makes me annoyed when people who make 6 figures complain about having to buy generic or store brand foods, and having to shop at wal-mart for clothing, how they feel demeaned in some way by this activity which is below them, that is nothing compared to barely being able to afford things from dollar stores, scouring yard sales for $.50 cent used shirts and $2 shoes. I was never mortified and embaressed by my status, I was just thankful I could have food and clothes, sure, I got picked on, and it hurt. It hurt so much I made no friends in school. But today I just pity those people who tormented me, because they're all shallow individuals who would never be able to make it how I had to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment